Steps to Add a New Version of Tomcat
This document describes how to add a new version of Tomcat to Eclipse WTP. It is meant as a guide. For more details, refer to commits to prior versions. Changes to Tomcat that require refactoring of the current implementation is beyond the scope of this document. It is assumed that the new Tomcat works the same as older versions to the extent that the current ServerTools implementation still functions adequately.
When modifying files, specify the current year in the copyright headers where present.
Modifications to plugins/org.eclipse.jst.server.tomcat.core
- Modify plugin.properties to add properties strings for the new version of Tomcat. Use existing properties as a template and make appropriate changes. Update the runtimeTypeTomcat???Description value to include the new specifications that this version supports.
- Modify plugin.xml to add new configuration elements. Add new elements using existing ones as a template and make appropriate changes. Be sure to update id values appropriately.
- Add a new runtimeType to the org.eclipse.wst.server.core.runtimeTypes extension. In the new runtimeType, the version list in the moduleType element should include the new version that this Tomcat supports, provided Eclipse has support for it. If not yet supported, it may need to be added at a later time. To check, locate the webtools.javaee Git repository. Examine the plugin.xml for the plugins/org.eclipse.jst.jee.web project.
- Add a new serverType to the org.eclipse.wst.server.core.serverTypes extension. Besure to update the runtimeTypeId to match the id of the runtimeType added in step 1.
- Add a new runtime-component-version to the org.eclipse.wst.common.project.facet.core.runtimes extension. Also add a supported element specifying the new version for its runtime-component.
- Add a new runtimeFacetMapping to the org.eclipse.jst.server.core.runtimeFacetMappings extension.
- Modify Messages.java and Messages.properties to add strings for errorJRETomcat??? and errorSpec???. Update the content of the strings as needed per Tomcat documention, such as the minimum version of the JRE that can be used.
- Modify TomcatPlugin.java to add a new TOMCAT_??? string constant. Then modify its getTomcatVersionHandler() method to return the appropriate Tomcat???Handler which will be created next.
- Create a new Tomcat???Handler class by copying an existing one.
- Modify the verifyInstallPath() method to use the new TomcatPlugin.TOMCAT_??? string constant.
- Modify the canAddModule() to specify the appropriate Messages.errorSpec??? constant. Also add any supported module version comparisons to the if statement.
- Update the version found in strings and comments to refer to the new version.
- Create a new Tomcat???Configuration class by copying an existing one. Update the version found in strings and comments to refer to the new version. TODO: Add support for HTTP2?
- Create a new Tomcat???PublishModuleVisitor class by copying an existing one. Update the version found in strings and comments to refer to the new version.
- Modify TomcatRuntime.java to update the validate() method to support the new Tomcat version.
- Add a comparison of the id to the new version in the if statement related to the Eclipse JDT compiler.
- Add additional else if code to the end of this method to handle when the id matches the new Tomcat version. Update the Messages.errorJRETomcat??? appropriately. If a JRE newer than version 8 is needed, update code appropriately.
- Modify TomcatRuntimeLocator.java to update the runtimeTypes string array to add the runtime id of the new Tomcat version.
- Modify TomcatServer.java to update the getTomcatConfiguration() and importRuntimeConfiguration() methods to instantiate a Tomcat???Configuration when the id matches the new Tomcat version.
- Modify TomcatVersionHelper.java to support the new Tomcat version.
- Update the initialization of the versionStringMap to add an entry that maps the new TomcatPlugin.TOMCAT_??? to a version string.
- Update the updateContextsToServeDirectly() to add an isTomcat?? boolean and else if code to instantiate a Tomcat???PublishModuleVisitor when that boolean is true.
- Update the checkCatalinaVersion() method to include checking the TomcatPlugin.TOMCAT_??? matching the serverType.
- Modify TomcatRuntimeClasspathProvider.java to support the new Tomcat version.
- Update the resolveClasspathContainer() method appropriately. Likely just add an additional runtimeId check to the first else if in the method.
- Modify the getTomcatJavadocLocation() method to return the appropriate URL for the new and prior version of Tomcat.
- Modify the getEEJavadocLocation() method to return a URL appropriate for Javadoc related to the version of specifications for the new Tomcat version.
Modifications to plugins/org.eclipse.jst.server.tomcat.ui
- Modify plugin.xml to add new configuration elements.
- Add a new image to the org.eclipse.wst.server.ui.serverImages extension for new runtime and server ids.
- Add a new fragment to the org.eclipse.wst.server.ui.wizardFragments extension.